Friday, August 31, 2012

Long Lost Love

Alright, I'm going to type this out as I go for the sake of my sanity, and also so I can keep track of all my steps as I go along and don't forget anything!

IMAG0192
The first thing I did was take EVERYTHING off her, except her earrings, because there's no point in leaving them on when they'll just get ruined, caught in the brush, or just annoy me. It was during this that I noticed Cupid's forearms and lower legs are actually black plastic, with the tops painted white to match the rest of the body. Interesting.

IMAG0193
So as you can see in this photo, the curls on the back of her head aren't just twisted or crushed, they've straight up fallen out and gone flat! This is gonna be fun, I bet.

IMAG0195
I've started brushing her hair as best I can, and I actually noticed that her braided halo isn't rooted to her head! Well, it is, but only on one side. If I were brave enough, I'd untie it out of curiosity, but since it would only result in one super long strand of hair, I'm not going to. Maybe if I buy another cupid.

IMAG0197IMAG0198IMAG0201
Well now that her hair is all brushed out, we can see that it's really pretty long! And also quite gorgeous. This puts me at a crossroads. I could keep going with restoring her intended style for the sake of a tutorial, or I could try something a bit different. Let's see what happens!

IMAG0202
I started brushing the underside of the hair, and the curls toward the front are falling into place nicely. Of course those aren't the curls that have fallen out, like the back. Doing the same to the rest of her hair did little to nothing to help the shape. The only option I have left now is to style it with some hot water. The curls are far too gone for a little hair spray, so it's time to dive head-first into my very first boil-perm!

INTERMISSION: Ahmyghad I lost my brush! [....found it under a piece of tinfoil...]

IMAG0203
Oh man, isn't this attractive. First I dipped her hair in boiling water, then I rolled it up in the foil, since I knew water wasn't going to penetrate foil. Is there an easier way to do this? Of course! But I wanted to do it right freaking now instead of tomorrow after buying drinking straws!

IMAG0204IMAG0208
At this step if she were a real person I would be dead. I've wrapped her head in saran wrap in order to keep the curls elevated, and have placed her in the freezer for 20 minutes as a way to shock set them (I doubt this is even a thing, but I've seen it mentioned by people online!) And yes, the front curls were a little heavy, so I'm using her own hands to keep them from drooping.

The rest will come tomorrow, after I've allowed her hair to dry overnight! Then it'll be the big reveal!

If anyone reading this has advice for me, please feel free to post it. I'm not shy about telling other people if they're going to ruin their dolls, so I would like the same in return!

1 comment:

  1. I don't mod my dolls so unfortunately i don't have any advice for you :( I'm fascinated by mods, though. It looks like such a painstaking process!

    ReplyDelete